Can an employer suspend an employee for no reason?

Received phone call from employer and was told that I was suspended for a week. Employer said he will call me when he has answer on weather I can return or not. Asked him why he said he has to investigate the situation. I have know clue what it is about. Worked there for 2 years.

Eugene, OR -

David A Schuck

David A Schuck

Employment / Labor Attorney - Portland, OR

Sometimes employers suspend people to get around Oregon's prompt payment statutes for payment of wages at termination. So that could entitle you to penalty wages if this is what was occurring.

Kevin Elliott Parks

Kevin Elliott Parks

Unless you have an employment contract or your employer has otherwise violated its own internal rules and procedures in placing you on suspension, it's doubtful that the employer has done anything wrong by investigating this situation.