Can an employer suspend an employee for no reason?

Eugene, OR |

Received phone call from employer and was told that I was suspended for a week. Employer said he will call me when he has answer on weather I can return or not. Asked him why he said he has to investigate the situation. I have know clue what it is about. Worked there for 2 years.

Unless you have an employment contract or your employer has otherwise violated its own internal rules and procedures in placing you on suspension, it's doubtful that the employer has done anything wrong by investigating this situation.

If you found this answer helpful, please click the "Mark as good answer" button, below. If you'd like to contact me regarding potentially representing you with regards to your legal matter, please click on my profile and give my office a call. My answer to your Avvo question, however, is informational only and is not intended to be legal advice, nor does it form the basis for any attorney-client relationship whatsoever, which can only be formed upon signing an Engagement Agreement and depositing a Retainer Fee into client trust. Further, I am only licensed in Oregon and laws vary from state to state. If you have an Oregon-related issue, feel free to contact me for a consultation. If you are outside of Oregon, please consult an attorney in your area for legal advice.

Sometimes employers suspend people to get around Oregon's prompt payment statutes for payment of wages at termination. So that could entitle you to penalty wages if this is what was occurring.

Information is provided to assist the reader in forming questions and allow them to take full advantage of a consultation with the attorney of their choice. Schuck Law, LLC does not provide legal advice to individuals who have not signed a written fee agreement with the firm. The facts, which were not disclosed in the written question may change the advice, if any, that would be rendered by the attorneys at Schuck Law, LLC. For these and other reasons, Schuck Law, LLC is not responsible for any damages caused by the reader's use, mis-use, or interpretation of the information provided herein.