Can an employer require you to present a social security card for employment?

Massapequa, NY |

Can an employer require you to present a social security card for employment? I have a number but my employer is insisting that I show them the physical card before they let me work. I can easily get one but I wonder if what they're doing is legal. Is it? Manager who interviewed me ..wanted to hire me right away but HR manager is adamant that she needs to see original card before she can process my application. I have other documents like passport card (valid for travel within USA and canada) and I have driving license but she is just stuborn that she needs to see original card. is it illegal that she insist about this?

1. Employers are required to obtain your Social Security Number for obvious tax related purposes. While the employer is not required to see your actual card (other proof of who you are is sufficient) there is nothing that would keep an employer from requiring that documentation (the original card). Good luck.

EVERY case is different. The answers provided here are general and not related to the specifc facts of your case. I am not your attorney and if necessary you should seek legal counsel. This answer is NOT to be considered legal advice and there is NO attorney client relationship implied from this answer.

2. Yes, and why would you argue? She's not "just stubborn," she is your boss.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Social security topics