Can an employer reduce my hours and take away my health insurance in the state of New York?

Asked over 2 years ago - Port Washington, NY

Iam an insulin dependent diabetic, single, female what should I do?

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Unless you are protected by a contract or union, then you are an employee at will, and can be terminated for any non-discriminatory reason. Just as you can be terminated for any non-discriminatory reason, your hours, salary and benefits can be reduced for a non-discriminatory reason. You would likely qualify for unemployment benefits because of the loss of health insurance. Not as clear as if your hours were cut, but I would think that you would.

Now with that said, do you think that your employer is cutting your hours and eliminating your health insurance because of your status as a diabetic or is there a legitimate reason for it to do so, such as business being slow. If you think the former, then you need to contact an employment lawyer.

2. Ronald Joseph Kim

Answered . You should speak to an attorney experienced in employment law. If you do not know one in your area go to
    Www.nelany.com

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . Unfortunately, unless otherwise states in an employment agreement, collective bargaining agreement or contract of some kind, there is very little to restrain your employer from taking actions such as this.