Can an employer purchase life insurance for me (with my choice of beneficiary) without my consent?

Asked 6 months ago - Tarzana, CA

I just found out that my employer offers whole life insurance with $192K face amount and pays $2,500 premium on each employee's behalf. I was invited to take part in this policy 2.5 years after working for this employer and was asked to submit to a blood test and physical. I decided to decline the offer. Now the insurance agent is asking me to sign what she calls a "letter" stating 1) I understand that life insurance protection will be purchased for me in the plan unless I sign 2) I do not wish to comply with the underwriting requirements of the insurance carrier 3) I am informed of my right to receive an insured death benefit in the above qualified plan, and the Plan Name is listed as 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan #1

1. Ivette M Santaella

1

Answered . Hello,

It is a pretty generous group life insurance plan and it appears that they do not want a beneficiary coming back to sue them because you did not take advantage of this offer. They want your signature stating that you refused the offer.

Your HR and/or Benefits Department should also be able to answer your question.