Can an employer make a copy of my paycheck without my permission and without me knowing out of curiosity ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Haledon, NJ

My boss told one of the employees at work to make a copy of my paycheck. They were told not to say anything but someone in office decided to tell me , so now I know about it

1. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, your employer pays your paycheck, so this is not information they would not have otherwise had. Whey they needed to make a copy is curious, but is just as likely to be no big deal as it is a problem for you. In fact, it is unlikely to create a problem for you at all.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    Employment, Business and Health Law
    One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

2. Allan E Richardson

Answered . Your employer can make as many copies of your paycheck as it wants to. In fact, they are required to maintain records of your pay for several years.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Yes