Skip to main content

Can an employer hold your check due to money being missing out of the register?

Hartsville, SC |
Filed under: Employment

I counted my drawer and everything was correct and accounted for on Friday afternoon. Monday morning my boss called and said that $200.00 was missing. He has suspended me from work til further notice and has refused to give me my last check. Can he do this legally? I am not the only person who has access to the drawer.

Attorney Answers 1


Deductions for damages or shortages are deductable only if the employer gives written notice of the policy to the employee at the time of hiring. Further, there are state statutes governing the payment of checks and Federal statutes that may be violated regarding minimum wage. These cases have liquidated damages provisions and attorney fee provisions. You should speak with an attorney who has experience in federal and state wage laws right away.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics