Can an employer force you to do a Physical and HIV test then sign over results to her after hiring you?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

Employer sent my friend who's a nanny(S) to doctor of her choosing and paid for complete physical inclusive of HIV. S was forced to sign release note in doctors office giving employer access to results. If not she would be fired. After S told employer results employer went to doctor and doctor disclosed results to employer. Some of S's results came back repetitive because she already had them and they were administered again before blood work came back. S has a Nanny contract with family at start of job which did not state a HIV test or physical for job.

Results for drugs and HIV were negative.

1. Vincent Peter White

4

Answered . I do not know of any law in New York State that would make this illegal.

2. Matthew Ian Marks

3

Answered . I am not aware of a law that makes this illegal and it seems permissible to protect the child.

3. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . Your question intimates a view that the employer was invading your friend's right to privacy. However, if the job is a nanny being in close proximity to a child then the safety of the child comes first in any analysis...the fact that she was hired beforehand does not preclude auch reasonable request and is not unlike job offers wherenthe offer is conditioned in a drug test. If your friend found it offensive then she is free tom decline the job and go elsewhere. There is nothing illegal I am aware of about the parents request.

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

1

Answered . This process sounds standard to me, in the context of child safety.