Can an employer force employees to have their pictures posted on the company's website?

Washington, DC |

A condominium association's Board of Directors has approved the Communications Committee request o have the employees' pictures posted on their website even though a number of employees are against such.

The common law rule for employment is that an at-will employee-- that usually means someone not under a written contract-- can be fired for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all. The big exceptions to that mostly surround civil rights law such as federal, state, and local laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, religion, etc.

It does not sound to me like there is any unlawful discriminatory basis for this, and one could imagine good reasons why a condo association would want to publish employee photos, such as the need of residents to be able to identify them for possible maintenance reasons. Accordingly I think the employees will probably need to decide whether they want to keep their jobs or not.

Of course there may be laws or ordinances in your jurisdiction that would make a difference. The empoyees can certainly hire a lawyer there and ask.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

that do not give any wright to make profit with your picture, your time ends when the clock finish, good look attorney you are an employer too isn't it ?, also, i will consider to be invasion of privacy when the employer force the employee to put his or her personal life. laws are made by law makers and all law makers are CORRUPT PEOPLE in my own opinion

Recommended articles about Employment