Skip to main content

Can an employer fire you for missing work due to a bad snow storm/road hazards/airport closure/travel time 2hrs to get to work.

Tacoma, WA |

I work 2hrs away from where I live, I came back to work 3 wks early from maternity leave due to employee shortage. Wa had an unexpected snow storm, so i missed 2 days of work due to snow storm 1 day due to ER visit for myself but went to work late and 1 day due to follow-up to ER. I never missed work before and we are on a point system, my manager thinks I did not call in/I did but none of my messages were relayed from her supervisor, (I am her lead for another dept.) I know the rules and regulations for the company. I wasnt due to come back to work until 23dec08 all this took place 21dec08-24dec08 I was terminated on 29dec08 with no prior tardies or absentee/no prior warnings and no points on record and no violations in my employee file.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you have a union or an employment contract you have protection. Otherwise, an employee at will has little or no recourse.

Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious belief etc.... might provide a different answer.

Good luck.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional WA attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer