Can an employer discuss the termination of an employee with other employees

Asked about 6 years ago - Dallas, TX

I was terminated from a company because it was having financial troubles. The owner fired me to give my job to his wife because she would work for free. These were the exact reasons I was given for my termination and have even answered questions from the wife when she didn't know how to do things or where to find things. I have now found out that the owner is telling other employees I was fired because the company wasn't important to me anymore. He even went as far as to have a meeting with the staff and announce this. Is it legal for an ex-employer to discuss the termination of an employee with other employees?

Can an employer discuss your pay with another employee?? For example , "John will be the first one I fire because he makes the most pay than all of you." Also can an employer discuss with other employee's about a private meeting that an employer had with you..that was concerning your perfomance..? Is it legal to fire someone if you think that your employee is taking their job serious , is it legal to fire an employee if they called another employee for a question that had to do with work?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Age, gender, race, religious belief, etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit. If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/workplace-...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.