Can an employer dictate to its employees when they are allowed to use their vacation days?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

For example, they want the secretaries to take their vacation when their bosses take their vacation. For example, I work for Tom and he is taking two weeks vacation the first week of May, I will be required to take my vacation the first week of May. Mary who works for the same company, boss is taking his vacation, the first two weeks of August and May will be required to take her vacation the first two weeks of August.

1. Robert John Murillo

2

Answered . This is allowable unless these dictates can be show to be based on unlawful discrimination, which you do not allege. You are most likely an at-will employee. Absent a contract, the employer can dictate hours, if they will provide vacation pay and when you may take vacation and any number of other conditions.

2. Shawna Rene Meyer

2

Answered . Yes they can. Otherwise the employer could be left with all the employees taking vacation at the same time, or perhaps during the busiest time of the year. Unless you are the only employee who is being told when you can take these hours, and you believe this is because your employer is discriminating based on a legally protected reason, than your employer does have a right to approve when you take your vacation time.