Can an employer cancel a group plan while, not only giving no prior notice, but leading employees to believe they're covered?

Amelia, OH |

I was admited through the ER on Oct 20 2012 from severe stomach pain and ended up having my gallbladder removed. On the way home I stopped to get my meds filled and was informed my insurance had been canceled since Oct 1 2012. My employer held out the premium for the insurance on Oct 18 2012, two days before my surgery. At the first of Oct, we had a company conference call and was informed that our healthcare could possibly be dropped but, at that time was still covered. At the hospital, I was given the choice to have it done then or wait 6 weeks, so I went ahead and had it done since I knew I might possibly be loosing coverage. Not until Oct, 31 2012 was we informed that our insurance was dropped 30 days prior and we would be reimbersed the premium for the 18th, which I never was.

1. Generally speaking, employers cannot cancel a group health plan without some type of notice. Opinion differs as to whether it must be advance notice or notice concurrent with the cancellation. Regardless, notifying employees that their insurance coverage was cancelled thirty days prior does not seem to comply with the requirements of ERISA. You need to speak with an attorney in your area that practices in the areas of employment law and insurance law.

Lori A. Strobl
    Strobl & Associates, Co LPA
    1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
    Centerville, Ohio 45459
    www.strobllaw.com
    (937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.