Skip to main content

Can an employer accept a USCIS Welcome Notice as proof of eligibility to work in the US?

Long Beach, CA |

An employee's Employment Authorization card expires 7/30/13. She has been approved for a Green Card, and has received her Welcome Notice. She has not received the card yet. Will the Welcome Notice be sufficient for the time being if the Green Card is not received by 7/30/13?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Absolutely not.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  2. No

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Yes.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. Even though the fortunate "employee" is now a permanent resident and, thus, authorized to work, the USCIS Welcome Notice is not an acceptable form of evidence to show Permanent Resident status and eligibility to work in the U.S.

    Moreover, while I have no intention to spoil anyone's plans, the Employment Authorization card which has an expiration date of 7-30-13, has been revoked by operation of law. To show eligibility to work, until she receives the actual Permanent Resident Card, she must obtain temporary evidence of permanent resident status -- I-551 stamp, from USCIS.

    (818) 582-3338. The information provided above is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. It is provided solely for the purpose of educating the public at large and is not intended to provide solutions to any individual problems. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney before relying on any information so that the attorney can thoroughly review the facts applicable to your specific situation.

  5. If it's been over 30 days since you received your welcome notice and haven't received your card call this number: 1-800-375-5283. It's the USCIS customer service number. They will answer your questions and will tell you when you can expect your card. Regardless, keep in mind that the government does not give you legal advice, they answer your questions regarding the procedures only. I hope this helps

  6. No. However, if the employee needs temporary evidence of LPR status to avoid losing a job, he or she should try making an InfoPass appointment through (select speak to immigration officer). USCIS will sometimes agree to put a temporary I-551 stamp in the foreign passport. That would be evidence of work authorization. If he/she has no passport, bring two passport photos.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics