Can an employer "dock" my pay if my cash register is short?

Warrenton, VA |

I found out the other day that my employer is making the clerks sign an agreement that if our registers are short, they are going to take it out of our paychecks. Is this legal in the state of Virginia?

1. In California where I practice this specicifc authority on this subject. The law essentially says that an employee is not responsible for smaller mistakes, and one of the examploes that is given is a cash drawer being short. The employer atempted to withhold money from employees if their cash drawer came up short. This was not permitted.

Generally, an amployer may not hold an employee responsible for minor mistakes, or negligence. However, an employee is responsible for gross or willful misconduct.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.