Can an employee have a green card and work as a 1099?

Asked 9 months ago - Durham, NC

I work at a staffing agency and have been asked if a temporary worker have a green card and be a 1099 - it has been hard to determine on the IRS web-site.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . There is no connection between the two. This is a question to a labor and/or tax attorney. In essence, the answer depends on the level of supervision which usually determines whether the person is truly an independent contractor or an employee.

2. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

2

Answered . I cannot address the tax law, but can explain the immigration consequences. Whether he can work as a 1099 depends on how he qualified for the green card and how long he has had it. If the green card was based on an employment relationship like a PERM, he is obligated to work for the sponsoring employer as a full time employee. If his immigration or the green card is family based, it is up to him whether he wants to work as an independent contractor or employee. Under either employment status he will have to complete an I-9 and pay his taxes.

3. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . A permanent resident 'green card' holder may work under 1099

4. Rebekah Grafton

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. This is less of an immigration question and more of a tax question.