Can an auto-credit company garnish my wages after a repo?

Clinton, SC |

They say they can garnish my wages because It's in my contract. Vehicle is scheduled to be repossessed in one week.

1. After the repo occurs, the company would have to first file suit against you seeking the difference between the amount owed on the vehicle and the amount they recovered in a reasonable valued sale (this number may vary state to state). If they obtain a favorable judgment, wage garnishment is one of a number of legal tools commonly used to recover the judgment amount from a debtor.

2. There is no wage garnishment in SC, it is prohibited by law. They can repossess the vehicle but often times that results in claims you can bring against the auto-credit company. If your car is repossessed, you should contact an attorney about possible claims you may have as a result. Additionally, prior to any repo, the company must send you a right to cure notice setting forth how much is past due and what amount will bring your account current.