Can an authorized person go to a safety deposit box of someone who is dying without penalty from probate?

Asked 12 months ago - Orlando, FL

I am trying to convince my mother to speak with an attorney before her mother passes away. My grandmother has stage-4 lung cancer and still of sound mind. She gave authorization to both of her daughters to visit the safety deposit box. Inside the safety deposit box are 2 savings bonds totaling $50,000 in an envelope labeled For [my mother's name]. If my mother were to go to the box and take the savings bonds which are made out to either [my mother OR her mother] or [my mother AND her mother], will there be a penalty in probate court once my grandmother passes away? My mother is not the personal representative of the estate/trust, nor given power of attorney; However, she is one of the beneficiaries on the trust and will. To her knowledge there is no inventory list of the contents.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Frank Joseph Tylman Jr.

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The will is not effective and probate has no jurisdiction until the principal dies. Your grandmother can remove anything she wants from the safe deposit box. If your grandmother has given permssion for your mother to enter the safe deposit box and remove the contents before she dies, she can do so. If the savings bond is in your mother's name, your mother can cash the bond.

  2. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Attorney Tylman gave you excellent advice. As he mentions, even after your Grandmother passes, if the bonds are MADE OUT TO your mother, then they are hers. If they are made out to your mother AND your grandmother, then they will belong to the survivor of either of them. If they are made out to your mother OR your grandmother then either one can cash them without the others signature. So long as your mother is a signatory on the safe deposit box and that has not been revoked by your grandmother, then she may access the box without penalty. If your mother waits until after your grandmother passes to open the box, then the contents become part of the probate estate and will be potentially tied up until after an inventory has been done.

    My answer is of a general nature and should not be construed to be legal advice nor creating an attorney-client... more
  3. Betty Elaine Jones


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the bonds are made out to your mother, they pass outside of probate anyway. So the other attorneys advice is good advice. Good luck.

    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

  4. Stephanie Sauer Woods


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Attorneys Tylman and Johnson have given you very sound advice.

Related Topics

Wills and estates

Understanding wills and estates can help you create a legally binding plan to protect your assets and final wishes, as well as reduce taxes on your estate.

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,950 answers this week

3,590 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,950 answers this week

3,590 attorneys answering