Can an attorney who represented me before take a case against me now?

Williamson, WV |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I went thru a divorce in 05' and was not over splitting my family, I ended up with a dui, and my attorney did great. Now, he's representing someone who was living in a home I own illegally(one of my rental properties) He was squatting, a vagrant, a B&E, but I didn't have him arrested(the law wanted too!) I just had him removed from my home legally by Deputies. Now he's trying to sue me with my former attorney for "civil rights violation" I call it harrasment, looking for a token settlement, as he took this case for FREE? Any insight? Seems like pretty big conflict of interests here. Thanks

It would only be a conflict of interest if he was representing someone who was adverse to you in the previous case. Since he was your defense attorney and the other side was the government, there is no conflict of interest here.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation and social security disability. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics