Can an attorney subpoena a deleted facebook or twitter account that is needed for evidence?

Parlin, NJ |

Of course the facebook information and pictures are a violation of someones rights and are illegal.

1. You need to file a lawsuit first, then a subpoena can be used as part of the discovery process.

This is not legal advice but only general information. No attorney-client relationship is created without a written and signed retainer. I do not know all the facts of your specific situation, which will affect this general post. You can get more information at my websites: http://kindsvater.com http://internetmarketinglawcenter.com

2. Yes

If this Answer was of assistance please mark it as "helpful." Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

3. The attorney can subpoena the information if a law suit has been filed. However, they need to do this quickly as deleted material will only be kept by FB & Twitter for so long.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

4. Facebook would tell the lawyer that once something is deleted it is gone. However, sometimes, Facebook can restore a deleted account, but time is of the essence.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation and social security disability. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.