Can an attorney help me write a complaint to the the proper board on the behavior of a marriage family counselor?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

My goal is to write to the board to have them review my specific complaints and have the complaints written properly and clearly according to the policies that I think were violated whether legally or ethical . There are actions that are borderline violations of the ethical rules they are supposed to uphold that I already found from research through other counselor with the same license . What the outcome is I don't know what my options are but he has caused emotional pain but my main goal is to make sure his actions are curbed and he doesn't act the way he did with my situation with anyone else . I want it reported properly . Its not sexual abuse just an FYI .

It also had to do with our how he tried to counsel our child. My child didnt even trust him and thought the things he would say were wrong or confusing and that is why I started getting red flags.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

Answered . You do not need an attorney to initiate a complaint against a licensed professional in California. For MFT counselors, here is the site to begin: http://www.bbs.ca.gov/consumer/complaint_info.s...

The licensing agency will investigate based on a short factual statement from a consumer of services that evidences a breach of professional standards. You do not need to"argue" or prove the alleged breach.Agency staff will assist by asking specific questions that measure conduct against the specific obligations and standards applicable to the licensed professional.

If the misconduct is established, the agency can impose discipline against the license up to and including loss of the license. In certain situations, the agency can enforce orders for restitution. Damages are not available by the administrative complaint process and there is no provision for attorney's fees incurred by any complainant.