Can an attorney charge interest on a unpaid legal bill?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Brea, CA

I have a legal bill for 16,000.00 originally that has climbed to 32,000.00 because of interest charged. I was making payments that only was covering the interest. It never touched the principle.

1. Michael Charles Doland

20

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleague's analysis, but one has to wonder what interest the attorney is charging to triple the amount of fees by virtue of accruing interest. You may wish to consult the bar. I am not sure, but I do not think compounded interest is permitted. Again, without knowing the facts of your written retainer agreement, further analysis is impossible.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

17

1

Answered . Yes, but the fact that the attorney is going to charge interest must be clearly set forth in the attorney's retainer agreement with the client.

3. Tom Arany

16

1

Answered . Yes, an attorney can charge interest. You should refer to your fee agreement to see if the attorney included an amount there, otherwise CA statutory interest will apply.