Can an attorney be held liable for tortious interference with economic advantage if

Asked over 1 year ago - Glendale, AZ

he was negligent in protecting my pecuniary interests (business relationships)? This in addition to the adverse judgment amount? The question lies in if an attorney can be held liable for more than just the judgment and fees from the adverse judgment?

1. Anne Brady

3

1

Answered . No, an attorney who is negligent (commits legal malpractice) will only be found liable if you can prove that the result would have different but for the negligence. If you can, your damages will be limited to the amount necessary to make you hole, that is to put you in the same position you would have been had the negligence not occurred.

2. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Tortious interference with an advantageous business relationship has to do with a situation where the tort feasor interferes with the already existing business relationship.

Negligence means the attorney did not exercise sufficient care to as to meet the standards imposed for professional conduct in the local community. Simply losing the case is not enough to create liability on the part of the lawyer. You would have to show that what the lawyer did not do, or did do, was not only negligent but that the adverse result was a direct cause of that neglect. In other words, just because the lawyer does not take action "X", was the adverse outcome directly tied to that omission?

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with Ms. Brady. Your claim would be for legal malpractice.

If you can show damages in excess of the adverse judgment due to the malpractice, then you may claim them.