Can an asylee get money transfers?

New York, NY |

I have a political asylum from China. My relative (living in China) is going to send me more than $200,000. Is it legal?

1. There are money regulations on amounts that need to be declared. Depending on the purspose of the funds -- gift, business investment, etc. there may also be tax consequeneces which I do not want to advise you on.. Check with yuor bank and they shoudl be able to advise you. I assume you are talking about your receipt of the money not whether the relative in China may send the money.

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

2. that depends on the facts not in your post.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

3. Yes you may get money transfers and it should not matter if you are an asylee or not. Whether or not it's legal is another issue and depends on a lot of factors such as where the money is coming from, the amount, how the money was attained, and etc. You definitely need to consult with a bank and/or a tax attorney.

Education law topics