Can an arraignment in a drug possession charge be waived in district court?

I was charged in Whitman County district court with possession of marijuana. However, I live 300 miles away from there. If I hire an attorney, can I waive my appearance at the arraignment. My ticket says "mandatory appearance".

Everett, WA -

Scott Weymouth Lawrence

Scott Weymouth Lawrence

Criminal Defense Attorney - Seattle, WA

CrRJL 4.1(g) allows your attorney to waive formal arraignment in District Court. Some courts have local rules that modify this rule. It is very common for a court not to allow this on DUIs or other designated offense. It should not be a problem with a Possession of Marijuana charge. Contact an attorney in the Spokane area to get help with this.

Lyliane S Couture

Lyliane S Couture

Criminal Defense Attorney - Moses Lake, WA

If it was less than 40 grams of Marijuana it should be possible to waive arraignment by hiring an attorney. If it is a felony charge filed in District Court you may not be able to waive arraignment.

Brian Charles Ashbach

Brian Charles Ashbach

Criminal Defense Attorney - Marysville, WA

Yes. Court rules allow it, and our office typically does this for minor cases such as yours.
To learn more, click below.

Mark R Stephens

Mark R Stephens

Criminal Defense Attorney - Everett, WA

Yes. I recommend hiring a lawyer immediately. There is a provision in the law to waive arraignment in District Court, but as a practical matter you must have a lawyer retained prior to the date. If you do not have a lawyer, you must appear, plead not guilty, and the court will assign future court dates, including a trial date. Waiver of Arraignment only applies to District and other Limited Jurisdiction courts, NOT Superior Court. Additionally, ALL later dates require appearance, unless the court tells you specifically your appearance waived.

Your question shows as a "Snohomish County Criminal question". Local practices may vary. My policy is to file pleadings waiving arraignment only after being retained (i.e. meeting my client, agreeing on a fee, and payment of the fee). I recommend you research lawyers in that community, and talk to at least three before deciding who to hire. Consider lawyers from the nearest larger town also. if you don't feel entirely comfortable with a lawyer, go to the arraignment and plead "not guilty". The judge will ask about your plan for counsel. Be sure to get a lawyer well before your next court date. If you can't afford to hire, ask for a public defender. Good luck.

Related Advice