Can an Approved VAWA self petitioner work while I-765 renewal is still pending and current EAD has expired?

Asked 10 months ago - San Diego, CA

My friend was approved for VAWA in 2009. She has been renewing her EAD every year. This year though, her EAD just expired and its been almost 4 months since she applied for the renewal. She has sent an expedite request and request an interim EAD in writing with Vermont Service Center about two weeks ago. She just wants to know if she can still work after her EAD has expired since she has the receipt for the renewal application. The reason she has not applied for adjustment of status is because her husband is a LPR and her priority date is still not current. Her EAD just expired and is almost 4 months since she applied for the renewal. I read somewhere that nonimmigrants can still work with the renewal receipt. Does this also apply to VAWA self petitioners ?

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . Not unless on received an issued EAD renewed document to resume working legally in the United States. The receipt of acceptance of the EAD renewal application IS NOT AN EVIDENCE of the EAD approval and should not be used as such.