Can an Approved VAWA self petitioner work while I-765 renewal is still pending and current EAD has expired?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

My friend was approved for VAWA in 2009. She has been renewing her EAD every year. This year though, her EAD just expired and its been almost 4 months since she applied for the renewal. She has sent an expedite request and request an interim EAD in writing with Vermont Service Center about two weeks ago. She just wants to know if she can still work after her EAD has expired since she has the receipt for the renewal application. The reason she has not applied for adjustment of status is because her husband is a LPR and her priority date is still not current. Her EAD just expired and is almost 4 months since she applied for the renewal. I read somewhere that nonimmigrants can still work with the renewal receipt. Does this also apply to VAWA self petitioners ?

1. Not unless on received an issued EAD renewed document to resume working legally in the United States. The receipt of acceptance of the EAD renewal application IS NOT AN EVIDENCE of the EAD approval and should not be used as such.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602