Skip to main content

Can an appointed Trustee and Beneficiary liquidate assets unilaterally w/o agreement with other beneficiary & division of funds?

El Cajon, CA |

One of two brothers was appointed Trustee of parents deceased Living but continuing Trust. Can the Trustee then liquidate assets, without division, when one of the conditions of the wills was that assets should be divided by agreement between the beneficiaries and, in the case of disagreement, the Executor would decide? The second brother was not notified for agreement.

Attorney Answers 3


Mr. Daymude has given a thoughtful answer. A trustee generally has the power to sell assets and divide the proceeds among the beneficiaries unless the trust instrument provides for a distribution of specific assets to the beneficiaries. The other brother should have received notice under Probate Code Sectino 16061.7 that he has 120 days to contest the trust. If he did not receive that, it gives him a certain advantage. In any event, the correct thing is for the non-trustee brother to immediately retain counsel. Tell him to call us now. Best regards.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


You are using legal terms wrongfully and without understanding them. The second brother needs legal advice from an experienced attorney who has reviewed the testamentary documents and the facts. Nothing short of that will do.

Generally most trust provisions give the trustee broad discretion and, unless the trust was contained in a will and the wills provisions control the trust, a will would have no bearing on the rights of a trustee. In that circumstance, the will would have to be first admitted to probate and an executor appointed by the court for the executor or trustee to have any authority to do anything. However, a named successor trustee named in a declaration of trust not contained in a will may have the authority to do exactly what has been done. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


This is something that can't be adequately answered on AVVO. You need to talk with a probate or wills & trust attorney who can review everything.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics