Skip to main content

Can an appointed administrator of a NY estate appoint a power of attorney to handle some of the matters

Rochester, NY |

An administrator of a small estate proceeding in NYS would like to appoint another family member as power of attorney to handle one aspect of the estate (eviction of a family member from the estate property). Can this be done.

Attorney Answers 3


The answer to your question is no. - Ian W. MacLean

This is not legal advice. If you would like legal advice, please contact the firm. The firm offers legal advice only to clients who have retained the firm in writing. New York ethics rules for attorneys and the rules of the Appellate Division require an written engagement letter or retainer agreement for all matters anticipated to exceed $3,000 in legal fees.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You can hire a landlord tenant attorney.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


In New York State, an administrator cannot appoint an agent pursuant to a power of attorney. The administrator can hire professionals such as attorneys and accountants to assist them with estate matters, but only the administrator can sign documents on behalf of the estate.

The answer to this question should not be construed as legal advice and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. You should consult a lawyer before taking any action regarding your matter.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics