Can an adult who was adopted as a child reverse or nullify the adoption?

Asked over 4 years ago - Spartanburg, SC

I am an adult femaie living in SC. I was adopted by my mother's second husband when I was around 5 years old. My mother and adoptive father divorced when I was about 13. I have no real relationship with my adoptive father but I do have a relationship with my biological father (he and my mother are in a romantic relationship and have been for around 8 years). Can I reverse or nullify the adoption so I can have my name changed back on my birth certificate, etc?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mary G. Commander

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You do not need to nullify an adoption to change your name. Although I am not licensed in South Carolina, all states have a name change process that you can use that is fairly simple. In most cases, there are online forms.
    Also, a step-parent adoption usually does not cut off inheritance rights from a biological parent, so a simple name change may be all that you need.
    To eliminate any doubt, your biological father could always adopt you as an adult.
    You should check South Carolina law.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,600 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,600 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering