Can an adult child sue for back child support?

Asked over 5 years ago - Fort Smith, AR

My father was court ordered in Arkansas to pay child support and never has.. Im 22 now can i sue him for back child support?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Scott Allen Scholl


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Anyone 18 years or older for whom child support was owed may petition the court for a judgment against the non-supporting parent. However, you need to be aware that there is a limitations period, and the petition needs to be filed within 5 years of your 18th birthday -- so given that you are already 22 you may want to move quickly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,315 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,315 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering