Can an adult ( 21 ) PR in California who was adopted in Belize when he was 6 by US citizens get his citizenship through them

Asked over 1 year ago - San Bernardino, CA

He was adopted by his grandparents (grandfather us citizen by birth, grandmother by marriage) in 1997. Brought here in 2003 and went into foster care in 2005. He is unable to locate them now. I would like to support him getting citizenship but we are unsure if he, due to being adopted before age 16, is entitled to it through them. I will be adopting him as an adult anyway, but would like to make sure if anything happens to me he is taken care of.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Citizenship or permanent residence?

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Cannot be determined on the facts posted.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Kevin Michael Crabtree

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It sounds like is is a U.S. citizen because he had a green card and one parent was a citizen while he was under 18. If he does not have certain criminal history, he could also just apply for US citizenship as a permanent resident for five years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,097 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,097 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering