Can an adult ( 21 ) PR in California who was adopted in Belize when he was 6 by US citizens get his citizenship through them

Asked about 2 years ago - San Bernardino, CA

He was adopted by his grandparents (grandfather us citizen by birth, grandmother by marriage) in 1997. Brought here in 2003 and went into foster care in 2005. He is unable to locate them now. I would like to support him getting citizenship but we are unsure if he, due to being adopted before age 16, is entitled to it through them. I will be adopting him as an adult anyway, but would like to make sure if anything happens to me he is taken care of.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 13

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Citizenship or permanent residence?

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Answered . Please see the answer to your other question.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Answered . From your question, a few things are unclear. Is he already a legal permanent resident? if so, for how long? If he is already an LPR, he may be eligible to naturalize (become a citizen).

    His situation is curious though. I'd suggest his sit down with an immigration attorney, or schedule a phone consultation, so that he can fully explain his current circumstances and his goals. Many attorneys, myself included, offer a free consultation. It's a good way to get a better understanding of what to expect. Good luck.

    Any and all responses to this and any other questions are intended for basic informational purposes only and are... more

Related Topics

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering