Can an adoption agency refuse services to you based on religion?

Salt Lake City, UT |
Filed under: Child adoption

I am trying to adopt internationally to Armenia. Armenia will adopt to my religion, but the adoption agency refuses. It is not a Armenia policy, it is a company policy.

Unless you have signed a contract requiring the agency to provide you with services then you will not likely have any recourse against the agency. You don't have a "right" to adopt, so even though this seems unfair, the agency will not likely be forced by any court to do what you want it to do. You might have a claim for damages associated with not being able to adopt this child but specific performance is probably not a remedy that will be available to you.

The foregoing answer is provided by Douglas J Shumway, Esq.: (801) 478-8080. The answer provided is not intended to form an attorney client relationship and should not be construed as legal advice. Mr. Shumway is licensed to practice law in Utah and Texas. Mr. Shumway's law firm has offices in Salt Lake City, San Antonio and Las Vegas.

Child adoption topics

Recommended articles about Child adoption