Can an 18 years guy file to adjust his girlfriend status ,we are going to get married soon

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

Hi, I met my boyfriend who is going to be my husband soon,I am 20,we have been together for 5 months and I came to visit US like 3 years ago but overstayed my tourist visa, just wondering is there a certain age to file for green card ?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, if you still have the original I-94 and if he has a good income, or you two have someone willing to be financial co-sponsors ... you can adjust.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Andrew Chung

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should speak with an experienced immigration attorney. With marriage based immigration, especially with couples who have been together for a short period of time (lets say less than 1 year) there may be a presumption of marriage fraud, even if legitimately in love and ready to get married. An experienced family based immigration attorney will be able to guide you and help you to build the strongest application possible. Part of building a strong case involves finding the right documentation to prove that your marriage is bona fide. You can find many experienced attorneys here on or at Many offer free first time consultations. Best of luck!

    The Law Office of Andrew Chung, PLLC. (832) 409 0117. . The statement above is general in... more
  3. David Joseph Trevino

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long as he is a USC and meets the requirements for the affidavit of support, you should be fine, assuming you're otherwise admissible of course. Hire an experienced immigration lawyer for quicker processing.

  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What can and needs to be done AFTER the marriage depends on the status of the boyfriend.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  5. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file with his sponsorship, but he will need a financial co-sponsor. It can be any U.S. citizen or permanent resident that can show the requisite income on their last tax return.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at:... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,418 answers this week

3,342 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,418 answers this week

3,342 attorneys answering