Can an 18 year old be adopted in California?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Campbell, CA

My wife and I would like to know if it is possible to adopt an 18 year old. This young man is living with our family and we wish to make him a permanent part of it. Legal adoption will also afford us the ability to provide medical, dental and vision coverage under our family plans. Is it possible? If so, what steps do we need to take? He is a full-time High School student and turns 19 in June.

1. Mark Brian Baer

Answered . Yes. Furthermore, it is easier to accomplish because the governmental entities are not concerned with your financial ability to car for the child if the adoption is granted because a parent is not legally obligated to support a child after they become an adult. In addition, the child does not need his parents to consent to the adoption because an adult does not need such consent.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. Rory S. Coetzee

Pro

Answered . You can absolutely adopt him. I would suggest you contacting a family law attorney in your area to aid you in the process.