Can an Auto Paint Shop hod my vehicle hostage?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chandler, AZ

Auto Paint shop charged me $2,700.00 to paint my Tahoe. Upon completion, paint had "orange peel" and dirt specks on surface. Owner wanted an additional $400.00 to wet-sand and buff. I agreed and paid the $2,700.00.
Yesterday I arrived to pick up vehicle and orange peel was still noticeable and new window trim was scratched from buffing. I expressed this and he violently told me to leave and was refusing to release my car. The oral quote of $400.00 for the wet sand and buff is not in writing and I have a receipt showing that I have paid over $2,700.00 to paint the vehicle and replace the now damaged trim.
What are my rights to take back my vehicle and what amount must I pay him? Do I have to pay him the additional $400.00 to get my car? If he wants more money?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . You may have the option to sue him for conversion- the full market value of the car. Depends in part on facts not posted. See a local attorney ASAP.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now