Can an Auto Paint Shop hod my vehicle hostage?

Chandler, AZ |
Filed under: Lien Car repairs

Auto Paint shop charged me $2,700.00 to paint my Tahoe. Upon completion, paint had "orange peel" and dirt specks on surface. Owner wanted an additional $400.00 to wet-sand and buff. I agreed and paid the $2,700.00.
Yesterday I arrived to pick up vehicle and orange peel was still noticeable and new window trim was scratched from buffing. I expressed this and he violently told me to leave and was refusing to release my car. The oral quote of $400.00 for the wet sand and buff is not in writing and I have a receipt showing that I have paid over $2,700.00 to paint the vehicle and replace the now damaged trim.
What are my rights to take back my vehicle and what amount must I pay him? Do I have to pay him the additional $400.00 to get my car? If he wants more money?

1. You may have the option to sue him for conversion- the full market value of the car. Depends in part on facts not posted. See a local attorney ASAP.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.