Can all actions in a State of California litigation be put on hold pending the outcome of a case in Federal Court?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I am being sued by my Homeowners' Association and they are running legal costs through the roof with motions, depositions, etc. I have filed a complaint against the HOA with HUD, alleging that they have denied my request for reasonable accommodation needed due to my disability. My case has been accepted by HUD and will be investigated, mediated, and tried in Federal Court if necessary, without charge to me. Since the subject of both cases is the same, and parties are the same, I would like to ask the State Court to require that all legal actions be put on hold until a decision is reached in Federal Court. Any ruling by State Court would be overturned if the Federal Court issues a contradictory ruling, so it is logical. Of course that would also save me a lot of money.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Raymond Daymude

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . According to your post your case is merely at the investigation stage with respect to your claim. I strongly doubt that would cause any court to stay proceedings that have already commenced. If you have not already done so, I urge you to seek legal counsel.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is possible, depending upon the evidence and arguments which you provide to the state court as to why the entire state court action should be stayed pending an outcome of the federal case. It does not sound like a federal court action has yet commenced though, so your chances of prevailing on a motion to stay would be pretty small.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Constantine D. Buzunis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . i agree with the other counsel's responses. You need to have a good faith basis for the state court to stay their case pending the result of the federal case.

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,222 answers this week

3,597 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,222 answers this week

3,597 attorneys answering