Skip to main content

Can alimony payments be garnished after a credit card debit is unpaid?

Chico, CA |

I am on SSDI and also receive alimony, I have credit card debit that I can't pay, If the credit card company wins a judgement to garnish my my wages or freeze my bank account can they get my alimony? What if I don't put that money in the bank? Can they garnish the check on the payors end? Thank You.

I live in Ca

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Your spousal support can be garnished on either end if they get a judgment. Even if you do not put in the bank they can get a turnover order against you or they can lien the award or get an order against your X.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Alimony is exempt but keep it out of your bank account.

  3. I believe that the attorney for the plaintiff must get a court order to dip into your spousal support payments to satisfy a credit card money judgment. Please review my web site so that you learn all of your options at this point.

    You also need to be concerned with a bank levy on the bank account where you deposit and maintain your funds, such as spousal support, as you will find your account cleared by a bank levy and you may have a tough time getting the funds fully restored.

    Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)

    NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APLC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics