Can alimony money in my bank account be subject to a bank garnishment from mortgage & HELOC loan creditors?

Asked 11 months ago - West Palm Beach, FL

In my divorce I was awarded permanent periodic alimony (23 year marriage, stay-at-home-Mom, no college education/work skills, age 56 ). In MSA my 'ex' chose to keep the house that had a 1st mortgage and 2 HELOC loans associated with it (making it totally under water in it's value-to-debt-ratio) and my name was on all of the loans. He was ordered to refinance the loans solely in his name, but he never bothered to. I have taken him back to court and was awarded a judgment for my Motion to Enforce & Motion for Contempt (he ignored both motions). I have a Motion for Commitment currently pending on a Hearing date. He has already stopped making payments on all of the loans associated with that house (4/2013). He also stopped making alimony payments. Can creditors garnish my bank account?

1. Matthew Brian Podolsky

3

Answered . If you signed the Promissory Note then you may still be liable for the debt. If you only signed the Mortgage and not the Promissory Note than you should not be liable for the debt. The Note & Mortgage are 2 separate things. The Promissory Note is the promise to repay the debt. The Mortgage grants the lender a lien on your property. It is very common to have a person sign the mortgage and Not sign the Note

2. Brett D Weiss

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, once they sue and get a judgment against you.

Bankruptcy may be a good option for you. Most consumer bankruptcy attorneys offer a free initial consultation.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

1

Answered . If they get a judgment against you, they can garnish the bank account.