Can a warehouse job offer be rescinded solely because of a conviction?

Bloomfield, NJ |

I was convicted of a conspiracy to commit robbery, and I have been offered a few jobs and the offer has been rescinded each time. The last time however was based solely off the conviction for a warehouse job. Is this legal?

Although I believe there is new law on background checks and prior convictions, an employer may deny employment if your prior conviction places the employer at risk. It would appear that an employer would have an adequate basis for denying employment at a warehouse based on a robbery conviction. Consult with an employment attorney in person for a more reliable answer.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

2. This is not a criminal defense question and sould be directed to an employment law attorney. Please re post in the appropriate forum.

Call (973) 694 4408 for a free consultation. Proven results, no gimmicks. www.bolegal.com The advice contained in this answer is based upon the information provided. It does not constitute our acceptance of representation nor does it provide any guaranty of results.

3. NJ is "employment at will". I can fire you if I don't like your hair cut. I can not discriminate based on race, color, creed, age, etc. If you don't have a contract with this employer, I believe you don't have a job. Consider consulting with an employment attorney.

4. I believe the employer may decide whether the conviction is a bar. Look into an expungement.