Can a verdict or criminal evidence from a civil trial effect or be used as evidence in a criminal trial relating to that issue?

Asked about 1 year ago - Laguna Beach, CA

If a person wins in civil court, and it says that they "own" the business, can that evidence and the fact that they committed a crime by actually taking over the business illegally be used to prosecute that person for grand theft, fraud, tax evasion, and so on?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Dean George Tsourakis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The evidence can be used but not the verdict. Civil cases have a much different standard.

  2. Sholeh Iravantchi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The evidence of prior proceeding can be used. However, just wining the case in civil court does not mean that they would meet the standard used in a criminal proceeding. Note that civil and criminal court apply different standard of proof.

  3. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Your question is difficult to answer. If one is the prevailing party in a civil matter for declaratory relief and the court finds that you, for example, are the rightful owner of a business, I'm not sure how that evidence could be used to prosecute another person for "taking over a business." I would need to know more facts as to how that other person committed theft of a business before answering any questions about whether such conduct is in fact criminal in character.

  4. Michael Douglas Shafer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Evidence, yes. Outcome, no.

  5. Brian K Wanerman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A conviction in criminal court can be used as presumptive evidence in a subsequent civil case, but not the other way round. However, depending on the facts, evidence from the civil case could be persuasive evidence in a subsequent criminal one.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,491 answers this week

2,721 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,491 answers this week

2,721 attorneys answering