Can a US H1B visa holder work from home in Canada and also work in Canada as well? (I have a Canada PR.)

Asked 10 months ago - Downers Grove, IL

My scenario as follows.
1) I have a stamped H-1B visa until 2015.
2) I am working as a consultant (Employer - Vendor - Client)
3) My client is ok with me working from home in Canada for 1-2 years, because I want to get my Canadian PR renewed.
5) In US too, I work from home, and apart from US Job I also work as independent consultant for Canadian Co and I get paid from both the sides US & Canada.

My question is, is it legal to work from home in Canada while on H-1B? When I try to come to the US from Canada and they ask, “why were you outside for (say) 2 months while on an H-1B visa,” can I say to the border people that I work from home in Canada for this US company?

(Plz note I’m not looking for answers like, “get a transfer to a Toronto office” or “use a B-1 visa instead of H-1B.”

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . Your work location is specified on your H-1B petition. It is not permissible to work in Canada.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . You will not get any answers to your complex, case specific questions in a free, general forum such as this. What you need is a private consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer. Avvo is not a law firm.

3. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

2

Answered . Actually if you leave the US, you cannot be on an H1B status. You cannot be under any status since you are not in the US and US status only controls your time inside US. But your period of stay out of the USA can probably be recovered. Does your employer have an immigration lawyer? If so, you should consult him/her. If not, consult with an attorney, and/or have your employer consult with one.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . 6. The most important ingredient of your enlightenment with respect of your current immigration situation should come from the attorney of record. Always.