Skip to main content

Can a us citizen whos been married less than a year with an ilegal immigrant fix his legal status right away?

Lake Station, IN |

My ex boyfriend started dating a us citizen last year and about 6 months later they got married. It will be a year sometime between november and december of this year he now says his legal status is all in order now. Can it be done so fast?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Adjustment of Status based on marriage to the USC tend to get adjudicated fast.

  2. It depends on whether or not he entered the US legally ... even if his I-94 has expired.

    If legally ...yes 3-9 months is possible.

    If not legally ... no way.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. Yes, it is possible.

  4. Yes.
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

    Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics