Skip to main content

Can a US citizen non-family party provide the Affidavit of Support for my mother's residence petition and if so, which INS form?

Knoxville, TN |

My mother (88 yrs. old) entered and stayed in the US with a Tourist Visa since 1999. I'm a US citizen wanting to petition her for residency. I am a single mother and receive public assistance. Can I petition her? and do I need someone to be the Financial Affidavit support sponsor? Can this person be a friend of the family?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You will need a joint sponsor who is a US citizen or permanent resident. It does not need to be a family member.

  2. The fact that you are receiving public assistance does not disqualify you from petitioning for your mother, but you will need a joint sponsor or co-sponsor. This can be anyone who is at least 18 years old, is a US citizen or Permanent Resident, and has sufficient income to meet the required income level. They do not have to be a relative.

    Ari Sauer
    Siskind Susser Law Firm
    Memphus, TN

    Disclaimer: The information here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon without first consulting with an experienced immigration law attorney. The information given may not apply to your individual situation. Immigration laws, regulation and procedure change frequently. This information should not be relied upon as legal advice without first consulting with an immigration lawyer and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Please note that this site is open to the public and any information posted by readers can be viewed by government officials. Ari Sauer is licensed as an attormey by the States of TN, NY & NJ, but is able to represent clients throughout the US. Practice limited to US immigration law. Neither NY, NJ nor TN offer certification as an Immigration Specialist. This is an advertisement.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics