Can a US citizen non-family party provide the Affidavit of Support for my mother's residence petition and if so, which INS form?

Asked over 2 years ago - Knoxville, TN

My mother (88 yrs. old) entered and stayed in the US with a Tourist Visa since 1999. I'm a US citizen wanting to petition her for residency. I am a single mother and receive public assistance. Can I petition her? and do I need someone to be the Financial Affidavit support sponsor? Can this person be a friend of the family?

1. 3

1

Answered . The fact that you are receiving public assistance does not disqualify you from petitioning for your mother, but you will need a joint sponsor or co-sponsor. This can be anyone who is at least 18 years old, is a US citizen or Permanent Resident, and has sufficient income to meet the required income level. They do not have to be a relative.

Ari Sauer
    Siskind Susser Law Firm
    Memphus, TN
    www.visalaw.com/ari
    www.immigrationanswerman.com

2. 2

1

Answered . You will need a joint sponsor who is a US citizen or permanent resident. It does not need to be a family member.