Can a UK Civil Partnership be dissolved in California as a Domestic Partnership?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I believe a UK Civil Partnership is almost the same as a California Domestic Partnership. I tried to dissolve in the UK through a lawyer but the judge said he had no jurisdiction because neither me or my partner were habitual resident there and I live in a jurisdiction that allows same-sex couples to marry and register partnerships. A California married same sex couple or domestic partners are considered Civil Partners under the UK law, so they will not need to re-register.

Also the California Family Code 299.2 says:
'A legal union of two persons of the same sex, other than a marriage, that was validly formed in another jurisdiction, and that is substantially equivalent to a domestic partnership as defined in this part, shall be recognized as a valid domestic partnership in this state regardless of whether it bears the name domestic partnership"

1. 3

Answered . Probably, but you should confer with an experienced California family law attorney to review all the facts.

2. 1

Answered . If you meet California residency requirement, (3 mo for separation then converting to dissolution or 6 months for dissolution) you should consult with FL attorney to review your UK union documentation and facts and determine CA jurisdictional basis. Good luck.