Can a UK Civil Partnership be dissolved in California as a Domestic Partnership?

I believe a UK Civil Partnership is almost the same as a California Domestic Partnership. I tried to dissolve in the UK through a lawyer but the judge said he had no jurisdiction because neither me or my partner were habitual resident there and I live in a jurisdiction that allows same-sex couples to marry and register partnerships. A California married same sex couple or domestic partners are considered Civil Partners under the UK law, so they will not need to re-register.

Also the California Family Code 299.2 says: 'A legal union of two persons of the same sex, other than a marriage, that was validly formed in another jurisdiction, and that is substantially equivalent to a domestic partnership as defined in this part, shall be recognized as a valid domestic partnership in this state regardless of whether it bears the name domestic partnership"

1. Probably, but you should confer with an experienced California family law attorney to review all the facts.

2. If you meet California residency requirement, (3 mo for separation then converting to dissolution or 6 months for dissolution) you should consult with FL attorney to review your UK union documentation and facts and determine CA jurisdictional basis. Good luck.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.