Skip to main content

Can a U.S. Citizen sponsor a non relative immigrant?

New York |

Can a U.S. Citizen sponsor a non relative immigrant?

Attorney Answers 2


It would depend on what you are referring to as sponsorship.
You can sponsor anyone in terms of completing the affidavit of support to meet the poverty guideline.
As far as petitioning for a non-relative, no but you can invite a non-relative to visit you and maybe employment sponsorship can also be attained for a non-relative.
I hope this addresses your concerns.
It is advisable to contact an immigration lawyer to address any other concerns you may have.
You are welcome to use the link provided.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful


The general answer to your question is no. In cases of immigration family law you generally have to be related, be it parent, spouse, child or sibling. So if the person you wish to sponsor has an immediate relative in the United States who is either a United States citizen or a green card holder they can sponsor someone abroad.

The other option for coming to the United States is usually a tourist visa which would allow the foreign national to come to the US for a period of up to 6 months. It is best to consult an attorney to help someone file the paperwork for a tourist visa.

Mark as helpful

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics