Can a trustee for a Chapter 7 filing hire her own law firm to investigate the filer documents?

Asked about 1 year ago - Scottsdale, AZ

It seems like a conflict of interest. They pressure the filer to make some settlement and then take a % which the trustee gets in addition to their fees

1. Douglas Garth Edmunds

4

Answered . Yes. They can do this and it happens regularly. All with court approval. There is nothing, strictly speaking, unethical about it as they are doing it to obtain as much money as possible for the creditors in the case. The fact that the trustee benefits in some small way is just a bonus. If you want to get mad, then consider that many times the attorney fees for the law firm hired by the trustee seem to add up to the amount recovered, leaving nothing for the creditors. This also happens regularly.

2. Andrew M Ellis

2

Answered . Yes, with a judge's approval, a chapter 7 Trustee can hire her own law firm to investigate the Debtor's documents.

3. Steven W Zachary

1

Answered . Yes the trustee can but if you think their is something improper, have your lawyer present tha to the judge

4. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, they can IF the bankruptcy court approves the fees. You filed on your own, didn't you? I suggest you take all your documents to a bankruptcy attorney for a consultation. Good luck.

5. Ray Choudhry

1

Answered . Normally, the Trustee will get court approval to retain counsel to represent him. Often, it can be his own firm.
    Remember, the Trustee is a separate entity.
    The Trustee is hiring an attorney for assistance to help the bankruptcy estate maximize recovery to pay creditors.
    The Trustee's fees belong to him and not to his law firm.