Can a trustee delegate to someone else to handle his responsibilities if the trust says he can?

Asked about 3 years ago - Rochester, NY

Do you just need a power of attorney to do it?

1. Sharon Melissa Siegel

Pro

Answered . The answer is yes, if the trust says so. However, if the trustee can't act or fails to act (as opposed to hiring a professional), you may need to consider removal and appointment of a successor trustee.
    siegelandsiegel.com
    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . It depends on the duties and what the Trust states, but generally a trustee would be required to hire some professionals to carry out their duties if specialized knowledge is required, e.g., preparation of taxes. There does not need to be a POA, the trustee can just hire someone. Giving a POA does not absolve the trustee of their duties, so hiring someone does not let the trustee ignore what future actions are taken by that agent.

3. Michael G Stuart

Pro

Answered . I agree with all the answers. As long as the trust allows for delegation, trustee duties can be delegated. Usually the trust will indicate that some writing evidence that the delegation takes place, but it is not normally a power of attorney. The Power of Attorney might authorize others to take action, again if it was authorized by the trust to establish a power of attorney and to delegate rights.

4. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I agree with both of the attorneys. Also, if the trust allows the trustee to appoint a successor trustee under the terms of the trust, then the trustee could resign after naming such successor trustee.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is