Skip to main content

Can a Trustee be Under Agreement (U/A) with a trust ?

Manteca, CA |

ex. John Doe Living Trust U/A 12/12/2012 Jack Doe Trustee For The Benefit of Jim Doe

Thank You

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Not sure what your question is. What its seems like is that John Doe created a trust for the benefit of Jim Doe and named Jack Doe as trustee of that trust. That is perfectly fine if that is in fact the case.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

  2. I agree that your question is not entirely clear. U/A is a common abbreviation used when referring to a trust agreement. If Jack Doe is acting as Trustee of the John Doe Living Trust, then the above caption would appear to be fine.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  3. Yes, U/A is a short hand (and common) way of saying the John Dow Living Trust under the trust agreement executed on 12/12/2002.

    Many times financial institutions will use this method to name counts owned by trusts

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics