Can a Trustee be Under Agreement (U/A) with a trust ?

Manteca, CA |

ex. John Doe Living Trust U/A 12/12/2012 Jack Doe Trustee For The Benefit of Jim Doe

Thank You

Not sure what your question is. What its seems like is that John Doe created a trust for the benefit of Jim Doe and named Jack Doe as trustee of that trust. That is perfectly fine if that is in fact the case.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

well, I am trying to be specific. that is, John Doe Trust not John Doe. Can a TRUST be U/A with a trustee for the benefit of another trust or person. sorry if this is not clear also. I do appreciate your replies. Thank you in advance

I agree that your question is not entirely clear. U/A is a common abbreviation used when referring to a trust agreement. If Jack Doe is acting as Trustee of the John Doe Living Trust, then the above caption would appear to be fine.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Charles Adam Shultz

Charles Adam Shultz

I California we usually see U/T/A - Under Trust Agreement or U/D/T Under Declaration of Trust - but as Mr. Frederick said, U/A is fine too.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

We usually see U/T/A as well.

Charles Adam Shultz

Charles Adam Shultz

To further clarify, since we are bantering TYPE A individuals, U/T/A, U/T/D, U/A or whatever else you use are not legal abbreviation per say. They are essentially created for convenience and universally recognized by estate planning attorneys so you dont have to write out the full words.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Very true. Not sure that either one of us are Type A, though. I prefer "detail oriented!" ;-)

Yes, U/A is a short hand (and common) way of saying the John Dow Living Trust under the trust agreement executed on 12/12/2002.

Many times financial institutions will use this method to name counts owned by trusts

Hi, ,did you mean "accounts" owned by a trust? thank you.

Dagmar Pollex

Dagmar Pollex

yes- I meant to say accounts - not "counts"

Wills and estates topics