Can a town start billing an empty house for water, without the owners asking, and then attach the bill to property taxes?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Glasgow, MT

water was turned off by request from owner, water was turned on without knowledge of owner, basement filled with water, house beyond repair. town started billing for water then stopped and sent a letter to owner that there would be no water bill. Now about 2 years latter start billing for water and have attached bill to property taxes.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark Alan Mackin

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The answer to your question will require a review of state law, town ordinances, and then subdivision or HOA agreements, or perhaps a service hookup agreement with the town. If you cant do that yourself and a significant amount of money is involved, engage an attorney to help.

    DISCLAIMER: The forgoing comment is for general educational purposes only, and is not legal advice upon which the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,763 answers this week

3,025 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,763 answers this week

3,025 attorneys answering